Sensor Web Enablement (SWE) is an open standard framework of Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) for exploiting Web-connected sensor and all-types of sensor system. The models, encodings, and services of the SWE architecture enable implementation of interoperable and scalable service-oriented networks of heterogeneous sensor systems and client applications.
The goal of SWE is to enable all type of internet-accessible sensor, service on sensor to be accessible, controlled via web service. SWE focused on developing standard to enable the discovery, exchange and processing of sensor observations, as well as the tasking of sensor system. Main function of SWE are:
- Discovery and real-time observe sensor system
- Determine sensor information
- Access and configure sensor parameters.
- Subscript and publish alert.
SWE use eXtensible Markup Language (XML) schemas to publish formal description of the sensor capabilities, location… then client, broker and server can parse and interpret the XML data, enabling automated web-based discovery of the existence of sensors and evaluation of sensor characteristics bases of published information. Information in the XML schema about a sensor’s control interface enable automated communication with the sensor system for various purpose.
Within the SWE initiative, data exchange is encoded by several standard interface definition for web services. Depend demand, we will choose specific encoding and service:
- Observation & measurements Schema (O&M): Standard models and XML Schema for encoding observations and measurements from a sensor, both archived and real-time
- Sensor Model Language (SensorML): Standard models and XML Schema for describing sensors systems and processes; provides information needed for discovery of sensors, location of sensor observations…
- Transducer Markup Language (TransducerML or TML): The conceptual model and XML Schema for describing transducers and supporting real-time streaming of data to and from sensor systems.
- Sensor Observations Service (SOS): Standard web service interface for requesting, filtering, and retrieving observations and sensor system information.
- Sensor Planning Service (SPS): Standard web service interface for requesting user-driven acquisitions and observations.
- Sensor Alert Service (SAS): Standard web service interface for publishing and subscribing to alerts from sensors
- Web Notification Services (WNS): Standard web service interface for asynchronous delivery of messages or alerts from SAS and SPS web services and other elements of service workflows.