oneM2M is a global standardization to develop a horizontal platform for the exchange and sharing of data among M2M and IOT applications. OneM2M provides a framework for interworking with different technologies and enabling re-use of what is already available as much as possibile such as LwM2M for device management, binding with various existent protocol.
1. Architecture Model
OneM2M layered model comprises 3 layer: Application layer, Common Services Layer and the Underlying Network layer.
OneM2M functional architecture contains 3 main functions:
- Application Entity (AE): is used to represent an instantiation of Application identified by a unique AE-ID. AE connects to CSE via M2M Communication Application (Mca)
- Common Services Entity (CSE): is used to represent an instantiation of set of service function identified by an unique CSE-ID. CSE connects to NSE via M2M Communication Network (Mcn) and to other CSE via M2M Communication Commom Service
- Network Services Entity (NSE): is used to provide services from the underlying network to the CSEs.
In oneM2M, communication flow is named reference point. The information exchange between two M2M nodes assumes the usage of the transport and connectivity services of the Underlying Network Entity.
- Mca reference point: Communication flow between AE and CSE
- Mcc reference point: Communication flow between two CSE
- Mcn reference point: Communication flow between CSE and NSE.
2. Relationships among oneM2M entities:
OneM2M supports two types of Node:
- A CSE-Capable Node that contains one CSE and zero or more AE. The Application Service Node and Middle Node are examples of CSE-Capable Nodes.
- A Non-CSE-Capable Node that contains one and more AE and none of CSE. The Application Dedicated Node is example of CSE-Capable Nodes.
Description of Node:
- Application Service Node (ASN): contains one CSE and at least one AE. ASN can communicate over Mcc with Middle node or Infrastructure Node. ASN could reside in an M2M device.
- Application dedicated Node (ADN): contains at least one AE and does not have CSE. AND may communicate with a Middle Node or infrastructure Node over a Mca reference point. Similar ASN, AND reside in a M2M device.
- Middle Node: contains one CSE and zero or more AE. Middle node is located in the middle of OneM2M system. It can communicate with IN/MN/ASN over Mcc reference point and ADN over Mca. Middle Node could be reside on M2M gateway.
- Infrastructure Node: contains one CSE and zero or more AR. There is one logical Infrastructure Node in OneM2M domain. IN can communicate with MN and ASN over Mcc reference points.